- Logo for 2017 Convention
The 2017 Oklahoma Council of the Blind Conference and Convention will be on September 22-24 at the Tower Hotel in Oklahoma City. The Tower Hotel is located at 3233 Northwest Expressway, in Oklahoma City. Sleeping room rates are $73 per night plus applicable taxes for one to four occupancy. Make reservations by calling the hotel at (405) 842-6633 and let them know you are with the Oklahoma Council of the Blind.
Registration includes five meals and a meal sponsored by the local OCB chapter, visiting vendors, attendance at all meetings and the privilege of telling us your expectations for OCB in the future. Your Convention Committee is hard at work planning a bang-up, fast-paced conference this year. Our theme is “Saddle Up to OCB”.
A representative from the American Council of the Blind will conduct a special training seminar on Friday for clients, consumers and Visual Services staff. Topics will be geared to how the Workforce Investment Act affects services to Visual Services clients and how Visual Services staff can more productively and efficiently meet the needs of their clients. We will explore the complex strategy of advocacy, transitional skills and so much more.
Convention highlights will include:
- The Educational Training seminar on Friday during the day;
- BBQ dinner sponsored by Heartland Council of the Blind;
- Western games on Friday night;
- Very important Resolutions and Bylaws committee meetings on Friday night;
- Exhibits from vendors across Oklahoma during the day on Saturday;
- Blindness agency updates;
- Special breakout sessions on the latest available technology, workshops on how to cope with vision loss, and much more;
- Special OCB Banquet on Saturday night featuring Scott Taylor, a western cowboy poet/singer/storyteller;
- Nondenominational church service Sunday morning; and,
- Most importantly, the OCB Annual business meeting where we present resolutions about issues affecting people who are blind, adopt
- constitutional amendments, and elect our Board of Directors for the next year.
More information about registering to attend the convention and a specific agenda will be forthcoming in the next newsletter. Feel free to contact Vicky Golightly for further details at (405) 740-6227 or email her at email@example.com.